We keep getting asked “how to add closed captions to YouTube videos”. Since YouTube ended community captions and community contributions to their videos, content creators have been frustrated by the poor accuracy of their subtitles. As editing your own subtitles can take a very long time, many are now turning to third party speech-to-text service providers to help.
We know how advantageous it can be to add closed captions to your YouTube videos in providing a range of increased benefits over your competitors, and also providing more accessible content to your audience in a tutorial scenario. Adding captions to your YouTube video can improve your YouTube content by:
- Allowing the hard-of-hearing a way to enjoy or learn from your content.
- Allowing individuals to understand your content in quiet environments.
- Improving content SEO to improve your video’s rankings on web searches.
- Improving viewing time by up to 5%.
- And much more…click here to view our blog ‘Why add closed captions to your YouTube videos’.
There are a couple of ways to add accurate closed captions to your YouTube videos:
Outsource your captioning and subtitles
Outsourcing to a third party with experience in this field will provide quick and accurate results. Accuro’s team of experienced transcribers, captioners and linguists provide a high quality and cost-effective speech-to-text service available on a pay-as-you-go basis and at the click of a button.
- Contact us – call, email or fill out a form.
- Upload the video to our portal, send us the video/audio track, or simply send us the YouTube link.
- Less than 24 hours later, Accuro will return the completed transcript and subtitles file.
- Log in to your YouTube Studio.
- Choose Subtitles from the left-hand side menu and select the video you want to add the subtitles to.
- Click the ADD button underneath Subtitles header.
- Click Upload a file and choose Subtitles
- Click upload and YouTube does the rest for you!
How to automatically add subtitles to YouTube
If you decide you would like to have a go at using YouTube’s automatic captions suite you will find that the tool uses speech recognition to automatically generate captions. These automated captions can be a good rough draft, with a likely result of 60-80% accuracy. Of course, you can always edit these captions manually.
How to edit YouTube’s automatic captions
YouTube automatically adds a subtitle track to your videos; however, if you’d like to edit them you can:
- Log in to your YouTube Studio.
- Choose Subtitles from the left-hand side menu and select the video you want to edit the subtitles of.
- Select Options under the Subtitles
- Click Edit on the top right of the screen.
- Click on the caption track you wish to edit.
- Click inside any line within the caption track and change any text that is incorrect.
- When done, click Publish.
What are the benefits of using Accuro’s YouTube caption service?
Accuro’s YouTube captions are created by a team of experienced transcribers who will always produce a more accurate output than a speech recognition engine. You will see an uplift in accessibility, view time and search engine optimisation of your content. Our pay-as-you-go charging structure makes the service affordable with no upfront costs or hidden fees.
To trial our service, fill out our contact form or contact us today on (+44)1565 748000.